James Gunn Talks Guardians 3 Title & Completing the Trilogy
James Gunn talks Guardians 3 title and completing the trilogy
Marvel Studios‘ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is coming home to Digital HD on August 8, followed by the DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD on August 22. In anticipation of the release, writer/director James Gunn spoke to Collider about the Guardians 3 title and completing the trilogy begun in 2014.
Gunn noted that production on Guardians 3 would begin in “a little more than year,” and that they do have a release date locked in. He also confirmed that the third film will “probably” be called Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, as expected, and may feature the original team of Ravagers led by Sylvester Stallone’s Stakar (a.k.a. Starhawk).
“It’s been pretty easy,” Gunn said of the scripting process. “The truth is, the first movie is the first act, the second movie is the second act, and the third movie is the third act so I’m tying a lot of stuff together in the third film. We get a lot of answers on a lot of different things, so doing that in an elegant way takes a little bit of grace and elegance. It’s more challenging in that respect writing the third movie than the second movie. I do an incredibly in-depth treatment for every movie. I think of writing a screenplay as creating the body of a human being and you’ve got to start with the skeleton, start with the bones, and you create the bones. You take a lot of time because that’s the actual base of the movie and if you screw that part up, later on down the line, you’re going to have a lot of mistakes. So by creating a really strong foundation for the story, that’s the most important thing. So I write a good treatment that’s probably about 70 pages long. It includes photographs and things like that. So that has been the way I’ve dealt with every movie and this one as well.”
Click here to pre-order Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on Digital HD!
Bonus features include:
- The Making of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” – A four-part, behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film, done in the style of classic-rock album liner notes.
- Visionary Intro – Director James Gunn provides context on how he continues and expands the storylines of these beloved characters in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.”
- Guardians Inferno Music Video – Join David Hasselhoff and special guests for a galactic retro dance party.
- Gag Reel – Laugh out loud at all the hilarious off-script shenanigans and bloopers that took place on the set of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” featuring all your favorite Guardians.
- Four Deleted Scenes – Check out four specific scenes that had to be cut from the film, including two extended scenes and two deleted scenes.
- Audio Commentary – Check out a special narration of the film by director James Gunn, who guides fans through an inside look at the making of the movie.
Digital all the features listed above plus four extra exclusives:
- Three Scene Breakdowns (Digital Exclusives) – We’ll reveal the anatomy of a few key scenes from the film. Discover the process in bringing these scenes to life. It starts with a doodle and the rest is film history. Audiences will be given the option to view 5-6 layers of specific scenes in the film. Scenes include “Eclector Escape,” “Gamora and Nebula,” and “Rocket and Ravagers.”
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! (Digital Exclusive) – Get an exclusive sneak peek inside the most anticipated ride at Disneyland,
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout!. We’ll dig into the concepts and inspiration, and talk about what it took to bring the most epic ride at Disneyland to life.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 stars Chris Pratt as Peter Quill (aka Star-Lord), Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Dave Bautista as Drax, Vin Diesel as the voice of Groot, Bradley Cooper as the voice of Rocket, Michael Rooker as Yondu and Sean Gunn as Kraglin. New cast members include Pom Klementieff, who plays Mantis, Elizabeth Debicki as Aesha, Chris Sullivan as Taserface and Kurt Russell as Ego, the Living Planet.
Set to the backdrop of Awesome Mixtape #2, the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel continues the team’s adventures as they traverse the outer reaches of the cosmos. The Guardians must fight to keep their newfound family together as they unravel the mysteries of Peter Quill’s true parentage.
Directed and written by James Gunn, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was produced by Marvel Studios’ president, Kevin Feige, with Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Jonathan Schwartz, Nik Korda and Stan Lee serving as executive producers.