Connect with us

Featured

North Korea launches missile from test site, U.S. officials confirm

Published

on

North Korea launches missile from test site, U.S. officials confirm

North Korea launched a missile from a test facility near the country’s west coast early Sunday morning, U.S. officials tell CBS News.

The launch came just days after South Koreans went to the polls to elect a new president.

The South Korean military says the missile flew about 435 miles, or 700 kilometers, according to Reuters. The missile flew for 30 minutes before landing the Sea of Japan, Reuters said, citing a Japanese official. 

U.S. officials said they were still assessing whether the launch was successful and trying to determine what kind of missile was tested. The last North Korean missile test on April 28 failed minutes after launch.

The flight was not consistent with an intercontinental ballistic missile, said Maj. Rob Shuford, a spokesman for the U.S. Pacific Command.

Although the type of missile is not known, the U.S. had been expecting the North to fire a KN-17 medium-range ballistic missile, Martin reports. 

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) determined the missile launch from North Korea did not pose a threat to North America, Shuford said.

South Korean President Moon Jae-in took office on Wednesday following his victory in Tuesday’s closely watched presidential election. Moon, the country’s first liberal leader in a decade, said he would be open to visiting the rival North. 

Moon has taken a much more conciliatory position towards the North compared to his predecessor Park Geun-hye, who was removed from office in a corruption scandal. 

“I will quickly move to solve the crisis in national security. I am willing to go anywhere for the peace of the Korean Peninsula — if needed, I will fly immediately to Washington. I will go to Beijing and I will go to Tokyo. If the conditions shape up, I will go to Pyongyang,” Moon said in his first address to the country’s National Assembly.

The Trump administration has called on China to apply more pressure to the North Korean regime. China remains Pyongyang’s primary benefactor and trading partner.

In an interview with CBS News’ “Face the Nation” in April, President Trump said that pursuing China’s help with North Korea is more important than securing better trade agreements.

“I think that, frankly, North Korea is maybe more important than trade,” he said. “Trade is very important. But massive warfare with millions, potentially millions of people being killed? That, as we would say, trumps trade.”

Mr. Trump also referred to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un as a “pretty smart cookie.” 

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Celebs

Jacqueline Laurita’s Husband Chris Laurita Found Guilty In Bankruptcy Case

Published

on

By

Jacqueline Laurita’s Husband Chris Laurita Found Guilty In Bankruptcy Case

 

Teresa Giudice may not be the only RHONJ star to serve prison time for bankruptcy fraud! RadarOnline.com can exclusively reveal that Jacqueline Laurita‘s husband Chris was found guilty of fraud in a years-long bankruptcy case — and will have to cough up $1.8 million for the suit!

A United States Bankruptcy Court judge found Chris and his company Iconix “jointly and severally liable for fraud” and “negligent misrepresentation” on Aug. 28, according to documents obtained by Radar.

Chris, 47, was also found guilty of “breaching of fiduciary duties” and “tortious interference,” and he was ordered to pay $1.8 million to Signature Apparel Group.

Jacqueline, 47, and Chris’ legal troubles began in 2009 when his clothing company, Signature Apparel, filed for bankruptcy. The Lauritas’ family became engulfed in the suit a year later when a court appointed official found that they were using Signature Apparel accounts to pay for private jets and other luxuries. Chris’ brother Joseph and sister-in-law Adeline settled their portion of the case in 2014, but he and his other brother Anthony continued to pursue the case in court.

But, Chris and Jacqueline have continued to struggle with their finances throughout the court proceedings, and they were even accused of owing over $290,000 in legal fees to their former bankruptcy case attorneys. Their case was stalled as a result.

Jacqueline was also listed as owing nearly $340,000 in taxes last year, and the couple was forced to place their Franklin Lakes home on the market earlier this month after nearly saving it from foreclosure last year.

Unfortunately the mom-of-three won’t be getting a RHONJ paycheck to help her this season, as she was axed from the season 8 of the show.

Via: RadarOnline

Continue Reading

Celebs

Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church Parking Lot Bone-Dry 24 Hours Ago … Why the Delay?

Published

on

By

Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church Parking Lot Bone-Dry 24 Hours Ago … Why the Delay?

Joel Osteen‘s church finally opened to Houston evacuees Tuesday morning, but several videos make it seem like they could have provided relief much earlier.

A local resident shot this video Monday at 7 AM inside one of Lakewood Church‘s underground parking areas … and it’s damn near bone-dry. The resident acknowledges the lot was flooded over the weekend when Hurricane Harvey was at its worst.

On Monday, Lakewood officials said the church was closed due to severe flooding — but fact is there was no outside evidence of that more than 24 hours ago. Plus, witnesses tell us church staffers and security were on the grounds Monday.

The church released photos showing flooding on Sunday evening into Monday morning … near the lower level entrances of the building.

The question: why the delay in opening the doors?

In any event, the first evacuees started arriving at Lakewood Tuesday around 12:30 PM local time.

Via: TMZ

Continue Reading

Celebs

The Rock Donates $25k to Houston Relief, Shades Kevin Hart

Published

on

By

The Rock Donates $25k to Houston Relief, Shades Kevin Har

The Rock has stepped up to the plate in a big way, accepting Kevin Hart‘s challenge and donating $25k to the Houston relief effort, but in the process he made a point about calling out celebs by name.

Kevin donated $50k a few days ago and then called out The Rock, Steve Harvey, Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake and Jerry Seinfeld … challenging them to donate big bucks.

The Rock knows what hurricanes can do … he has personal experience.

Check out his video … he makes a point of saying he didn’t go where Kevin went.

Via: TMZ

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending