Connect with us

Hollywood

The Rock Gets $20M Payday as Red Notice Lands at Universal

Published

on

The Rock Gets $20M Payday as Red Notice Lands at Universal

Dwayne Johnson’s latest movie is going to earn him a $20 million payday. Following a massive bidding war between virtually every major studio in Hollywood (including Netflix), Universal and Legendary Pictures have won the rights to Red Notice, a new heist thriller that will see The Rock reteam with his Skyscraper director Rawson Thurber. Thurber is said to be getting an eight-figure payday for his work on Red Notice, which he will write and direct. This movie is on the fast track and is expected to be a major blockbuster with global appeal. Hence, the bidding war.

According to a new report, Red Notice will be a “two-hander,” meaning that it will be a starring vehicle for Dwayne Johnson and another yet-to-be-named star. Odds are, it’s going to be a big name, given that this is being pitched as a major blockbuster that is on the fast track. Red Notice is said to be the biggest deal made by a Hollywood studio for a movie this year so far. Red Notice comes from the mind of Rawson Thurber and he’s said to be getting to work on the script on Monday. Though, plot details are largely being kept under wraps at the moment.

The majority of the production team behind the upcoming Skyscraper, which was unveiled to the world during the Super Bowl, is in place for Red Notice. The movie will be produced by Beau Flynn, via FlynnPictureCo., along with Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia through their Seven Bucks Production banner. Rawson Thurber and Wendy Jacobson are executive producing. It’s said that Johnson was willing to shuffle around his schedule to ensure that he’ll be available to shoot Red Notice in early 2019.

Rawson Thurber and the producers generated a lot of buzz for this movie in a hurry when they started shopping it around. They reportedly had a lot more than just a pitch. Red Notice came with a full production team, the biggest star in the world already attached, a writer/director and even a start date for production. Not only that, but the movie is on track to be completed so that Universal can release it as an event movie in 2020. That makes for a rather quick turnaround for a movie of this size, but this isn’t a typical situation.

Whether or not a franchise is being hoped for remains unclear, but the movie certainly carries a franchise price tag. Not only is Dwayne Johnson earning a staggering amount of money, but it’s said that Red Notice will cost around $125 million to make. That’s not including marketing costs. Still, this seems like one of very few movies that has near guaranteed hit potential and that’s very hard to come by in Hollywood these days. Johnson also has his Fast and Furious spin-off with Jason Statham dated for 2019 and a sequel to Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle in the works. So his workload isn’t getting any lighter. This news was first reported by Deadline.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Celebs

Are John Cena and Nikki Bella Back Together?

Published

on

By

Are John Cena and Nikki Bella Back Together?

Just over a month ago we revealed that WWE Superstars John Cena and Nikki Bella broke up ( you can click here to find out why Nikki Bella broke up with John Cena.)

Since their break-up both John Cena and Nikki Bella have been on a media frenzy, one for her reality TV show, and the other for his blockbuster movies.

John Cena has made it clear in these interviews, that he will stop at nothing to win Nikki Bella back, and it looks like it actually worked.

John Cena and Nikki Bella are finally back on the road to reconciliation!

A source told us that “they’re basically back together.”

“They both got a wake-up call once they canceled the wedding, and they both realized they could fix what was broken,” the source revealed.

“They never stopped talking,” a source told People Magazine. “Other than the actual wedding weekend, when they took some space, they have been talking.”

John had made it clear on NBC’s “Today” show that he wanted to have a family with Nikki and still wanted to marry her. If you watch Total Divas or Total Bella’s than you already know that this is exactly what Nikki wanted to hear.

“He has poured his heart out to her, and she was more than ready to take him back once she heard what she needed to hear,” the source from People Magazine added. “He’s been saying and doing all the right things.”

As seen below, TMZ spotted the couple in San Diego over the weekend, and it looks like we may see the power couple together again real soon for good!

 

Continue Reading

Celebs

Andy Serkis’ ‘Mowgli’ Trailer: A Darker Look At ‘The Jungle Book’

Published

on

By

Andy Serkis’ ‘Mowgli’ Trailer: A Darker Look At ‘The Jungle Book’

With this morning’s trailer debut of Andy Serkis’ Mowgli, we now have a trailer for every major Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. release for 2018 except for Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga’s A Star Is Born and James Wan’s Aquaman. I’m guessing we’ll get a Star Is Born trailer (the film opted to forgo Cannes in favor of the more Oscar-friendly Fall festival circuit) attached to Ocean’s 8 in early June. That Aquaman trailer will drop, I dunno, sometime next month with Incredibles 2 or Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom or with July’s Ant-Man and the Wasp just before SDCC?

Either way, this darker, PG-13 variation on Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book is going to have to justify itself 2.5 years after Disney beat them to the punch with a pretty acclaimed and $996 million-grossing version of the iconic story.  Yes, this one is presumably more faithful to the original book than the Disney toon, the 1994 Stephen Sommers actioner or Jon Favreau’s animated/live-action hybrid from 2016. But at the end of the day, it’s still another live-action/animated action drama set in the same general world and stemming from the same source material.

It’ll be an uphill battle, even if this does turn out to be essentially a Jungle Book movie with the tone, mood and flavoring of Matt Reeves’ recent Planet of the Apes sequels. To be fair, this looks pretty spectacular from a purely visual point-of-view. And the animal cast, including Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Holland, Eddie Marsan and Naomie Harris among others, is pretty impressive if not quite as conventionally star-studded as Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Walken and Idris Elba. If not for the fact that we just had a variation on this movie from a different studio two years ago, this one would probably be looked at as a much bigger deal.

But this isn’t 1998 where audiences necessarily want two loose copies of the same movie in a short period of time. Heck, even in 2013 there was only room for one “Die Hard in the White House” movie, as the underrated but overbudgeted White House Down fell to the cheaper and nastier Olympus Has Fallen. Of course, a 2.5-year difference is different than a six-month (or less) span between movies. So will audiences feel that enough time has passed in between Jungle Book movies, even if this one does look pretty neat and does feel closer in spirit to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes than Walt Disney’s (occasionally somber and arthouse-ish) Jungle Book adaptation?

Continue Reading

Celebs

Jake Gyllenhaal set to play villain in new Spider-Man movie

Published

on

By

Jake Gyllenhaal set to play villain in new Spider-Man movie

Jake Gyllenhaal is set to play villain Mysterio in the next ‘Spider-Man’ movie.

The 37-year-old actor has reportedly won the race to portray the antagonist opposite Tom Holland who is returning as the webslinger in his second standalone film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Gyllenhaal was in competition with Ryan Gosling for the coveted part but the latter star pulled out of the running due to a scheduling conflict with another project.

A source told The Sun newspaper: “Producers were keen to sign Ryan but he was busy filming another project. Jake is a suitable alternative with experience of playing villainous characters.”

Mysterio made his first appearance issue #13 of comic book ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ in 1964 and was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, the men responsible for giving Spider-Man to the world.

The original Mysterio is Quentin Beck, a special effects wizard and stunt man working for a major Hollywood studio who uses his expertise to pursue a life of crime after failing in his ambitions to become a rich and famous actor. There have been three different incarnations of the character since the original.

Shooting on the MCU blockbuster is due to begin in London in June.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending